Jon & Claudia Anderson CTOM Initiative Award
The Jon and Claudia Anderson CTOM Initiative Award was created to provide initial funding for Membership in Odyssey of the Mind in any given year. The CTOM Board of Directors will annually provide “start up” funds in the amount equal to:
- The membership fee in the national organization; and
- The CTOM registration fee for up to four teams associated with that membership to participate in the Connecticut program; and
- A stipend for the site coordinator, in the amount of $125.00 per team, up to four, associated with the membership.
NOTE: Direct costs of the team in the creation of the solution to any problem or any other incidental costs will be the responsibility of the local entity sponsoring the team or the team itself.
Any local entity that is qualified to sponsor an Odyssey of the Mind team under the national rules of Odyssey of the Mind shall be eligible, as long as that entity has not had an active membership in the last three years. All other factors being equal, priority will be given to new teams from urban and/or inner city settings, all applications to assist students in need will be considered. Any Connecticut entity that wishes to be considered for this award must submit the following information by December 1st:
- Submit a letter of interest to the Association Director;
- Verify in the letter that the team(s) will represent a “new membership”;
- Provide a letter of support/endorsement from the principal/director/head of the sponsoring organization which indicates willingness to encourage the new activity and identifies the name of an organization coordinator who will serve as the primary liaison between CTOM and the sponsoring organization
- Submit a brief statement outlining the processes through which the new membership and team(s) have been initiated and any information you wish the selection committee to consider
A special committee of at least three members of the CTOM Board of Directors and the Association Director will review all applications and will select the recipient of the Jon and Claudia Anderson CTOM Initiative Award. All applicants will be notified no later than December 15th. Given that the CTOM Board seeks to increase opportunities for children and youth of all socio/economic backgrounds to engage in creative problem solving activities we sponsor, priority in the selection process will be given to new memberships from urban and/or inner city settings, all applications to assist students in need will be considered.
Note: While the Anderson Award is granted for a single year, an Anderson Award team is eligible to apply for a second year, according to the criteria outlined above.
Anderson Awards are limited by funds available in a given year. Our goal is for every child, regardless of need, and who wishes to participate in Odyssey of the Mind in Connecticut is able to be part of an Odyssey team. Donations are accepted at any time and can be directed towards this award specifically. If you wish to make a donation, please contact our CTOM Association Director.
About Jon and Claudia Anderson
After 18 + years of continuous and exemplary service to CTOM, Jon and Claudia Anderson retired from their positions of Spontaneous Problem Captain and Assistant Spontaneous Problem Captain in 2001, and Jon has resigned as a member of the Board of Directors. In recognition of and with deep appreciation for their outstanding and loyal service, the CTOM Board of Directors created this initiative award in their honor. The purpose of this award is to provide financial support for new teams who wish to begin the exhilarating journey of creative and spontaneous problem solving with CTOM.