Page last updated 03/14/2018
This page will be updated regularly throughout our tournament season.
2018 State Tournament: Saturday, March 17, 2018
Welcome to the 37th Annual Connecticut Odyssey of the Mind State Tournament! Our hosts are the administration, faculty and staff of Southern Connecticut State University (SCSU).
The CTOM Board of Directors, problem captains and judging teams are excited to have the chance to witness the results of what you have created, brainstormed, practiced, tested, designed and redesigned, built and rebuilt!
This web page has all the information you need to plan your tournament day. Please share this information with any parents and friends who will be attending the tournament.
CTOM Tournament Program
The 2018 CTOM Tournament Program can be found here.
Engleman Hall Rotunda, 7: 00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Adanti Student Center, 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Note: Team check-in will be at your long term problem performance locations.
The 2018 Competition Schedule, including starting times for long-term and spontaneous performances, can be found here. Please plan on being on campus at least one half hour before your earliest time.
Long-Term Problem Locations
Note: Team check-in will be at your long term problem performance location. Only coaches may check-in their teams.
Competition Map for Competition Sites and Prop-drop Locations:
|Problem 1: Triathlon Travels||Pelz Gymnasium|
|Problem 2: Emoji, Speak for Yourself||Engleman Hall|
|Problem 3: Classics… Mockumentary! Seriously?||Engleman Hall|
|Problem 4: Animal House||Pelz Gymnasium|
|Problem 5: A Stellar Hangout, Div 1A & 1B||Adanti Student Center|
|Problem 5: A Stellar Hangout, Div 2||Lyman Center|
|Primary: We’re Cooking Now||Adanti Student Center|
Prop drop signs are NYC-styled subway signs:
Check your number and sign color here:
|Problem 1: Triathlon Travels|
|Problem 2: Emoji, Speak for Yourself|
|Problem 3: Classics… Mockumentary! Seriously?|
|Problem 4: Animal House|
|Problem 5: A Stellar Hangout|
|Primary: We’re Cooking Now|
Spontaneous Competition Site and Check-in Procedure
Location: Engleman Hall
Follow signs to the Spontaneous check in area on the second floor. Please note, only teams and coaches permitted.
- Sign in at the Spontaneous registration desk (Follow signs). Teams will then be directed to the holding room.
- Once the team is escorted to the competition room, the coach will wait for the team’s return in the debriefing room.
We are collecting pictures for our annual CTOM slide show, so strike a pose, show off your creative powers, and make our teams laugh! We collect pictures during the year and during competition day. If you would like to have your team included, please send photos of your team in action to email@example.com. We will accept photos until 2:00 p.m. on competition day. More information and legal terms can be found on the Photo-Bomb page!
Check the Program Guide and your long term problem – bring the required number of copies of the following for your problem. Check the special problem instructions for any additional requirements from your Problem Captain. Be sure to keep extra copies of your paperwork in case your team goes to Worlds! Here are the forms needed:
- Style forms – All style forms have the same format and scoring structure (4 style elements and 1 overall style element). Each problem has different style elements scored. Usually 2 selected for you in the long term problem and 2 free choice of the team. Refer to your long term problem scoring section and program guide for additional details.
- Cost Forms – All cost forms have the same format but may have different amounts allocated depending on the problem. Refer to your long term problem and program guide for additional details.
- Additional paperwork – Some long term problems require additional paperwork – check your problem for details
- Clarifications – Any clarification that is relevant for your team’s problem
- Outside Assistance Form
Special Problem Instructions:
If necessary, each problem captain will provide special instructions specific to each problem. Refer to your problem page here:
Directions and Parking
- Assigned Parking: Specific parking locations are assigned for each long term problem. See the Special Problem Instructions pages above for parking locations, or here.
- Parking Lot GPS Addresses:
Wintergreen Garage – 23 Wintergreen Avenue
Fitch Street Garage and Lot 1 – 525 Fitch Street
Main Lot – 377 Fitch Street
Lot 10 – 324 Fitch Street
Lots 12B, 12 and 5 – 501 Crescent Street
- Parking: Parking is free. Park in only designated parking lots, garages and spaces. Do not park in any spaces reserved for Southern personnel, on any grassy areas, on the athletic fields or drive on campus paths. Handicapped parking is available at all locations on campus. Please try to carpool as parking will be limited. Factor in 15 minutes to walk from parking to buildings in planning your arrival time.
- Watch for directional signs outside the buildings.
- REMINDER – Do not park or leave your car unattended at the drop off sites. It will be towed.
- When dropping off props the driver must not leave the vehicle even to assist in moving props indoors.
- After dropping off props all cars should be moved to an approved parking space.
- Police will ticket violators.
Getting Your Scores
Coaches: your team’s scores can be picked up at your performance site, if you provided a judge or paid the no-judge fee. Each performance area will post team names and membership numbers when scores are ready. At this point, you can meet with the Head Judge to receive your scores and performance comments. All scores will be posted at ctom.org as soon as they are ready following the Closing Ceremonies.
A participation certificate identifying this year’s pins and acknowledging the efforts and creativity of your team members can be printed here. Please note, in our efforts towards a “paperless” registration experience, we will not be providing hard copies of these certificates on the day of the tournament.
Please bring your family, friends, teachers and your school administrators to cheer on your team. We welcome any and all donations to help defray our program costs. Donations will be accepted at the Merchandise Sales table, or can be made at ctom.org using the donation button. Thank you!
CTOM Merchandise Sales
Engleman Student Lounge, 7:30 – 3:00
Lyman Lobby, 4:00 – 5:15 at the Closing Ceremonies
2018 Commemorative Tournament Tee shirts – $15.00
2018 State Tournament Div 1 Pin Set – $7.00
2018 State Tournament Div 2 Pin Set – $7.00
2018 State Tournament Div 3 Pin Set – $7.00
2018 State Tournament FULL Pin Set – $20
2018 World Final Pin -$5.00
String Bag – $10.00
Lanyard – $5.00
Payment for Merchandise and Donations
We will happily take cash, credit cards or personal checks made out to CTOM, Inc.
Drawing for the annual World Finals Pin Towel
Tickets for our annual pin towel raffle can be claimed by team members at the Merchandise Sales table. Please fill out your name and phone number and place your ticket in the bucket at the merchandise table. The drawing will be held at the closing ceremonies.
Food, Food, Food
Dunkin’ Donuts – Adanti Student Center, 7:00 a.m. -3:00 p.m.
Food Court – Adanti Student Center:
- snacks from 9:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- lunch from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Menu can be found here. Cash payment preferred
Save time and money! Help Chartwells shorten food lines by buying lunch tickets for $7.00 cash (.50 discount) between 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. in the lobbies of Pelz Gym, Lyman Center, Adanti Student Center, and Engleman Hall.
Students from SCSU’s Caribbean Student Association will be selling snacks throughout the day. Stop by their tables in Pelz Gym lobby, Engleman Hall, Adanti Student Center, Science Building(1st Floor) and the lobby of Lyman Center.
NEW this year! Explore STEM at SCSU! Southern is graciously opening the beautiful new high tech Academic Sciences and Laboratory Building from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. for tours and hands on activities. Schedule can be found here. Visit the aquaria, astronomy center, and the labs and be sure to pick up raffle tickets. Tickets should be returned to the Merchandise sales desk at the closing ceremony. We will choose the lucky winner of a $25 Amazon gift card and cool CTOM merchandise at the closing ceremony. (Learn more about the new building here.)
Closing Ceremonies – Lyman Center Main Stage
Entertainment: 4:45 – 5:30, Li Liu Acrobat
Award Ceremony: 5:30 – 6:30
- Medals will be awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams for each problem/division.
- The Jill Riggles Award for Excellence in Spontaneous will be awarded to the teams in each problem/division earning the highest score in the spontaneous portion of the competition.
- Any Omer and Ranatra Fusca Awards will be given out after the team medals.
Reminder: No food or drink will be allowed in the closing ceremonies venue. Ushers will ask you to finish your food/beverage prior to entering the closing ceremonies.
Iowa State University, May 23 – 26, 2018
Information can be found here.
World Finals Eligibility
- 1st and 2nd place award-winning teams for each Problem/Division receive invitations to World Finals
- Long-term and individual Ranatra Fusca award recipients also receive invitations to World Finals
- Should a 1st or 2nd place team elect not to attend World Finals, the spot will be offered to the next available team. All 3rd and 4th place teams should hold on to their props and costumes.
World Finals Meeting
There will be a mandatory planning meeting for coaches of teams selected to go to World Finals following the competition. Details are available here.
New England Weather
In case of inclement weather, any changes to our schedule will be posted here and Facebook. If SCSU is open, our competition will be held.
We welcome your comments on your team’s experience at tournament and at all of our training activities. Please let us know what went right as well as what went wrong and your suggestions on how to improve our program. A survey will be sent to all coaches after tournament.
Thanks to each of you for participating in this incredible program! Enjoy your day at the 37th Annual Connecticut State Finals.
Dave Schaller, President and Association Director
Phone: 500-CTOM – AreaCode: 570