NOTE: Following is a description of being a team-provided volunteer at tournament. If you are interested in being a judge, please click here.
Each team is required to provide a volunteer who will work a shift of 3-4 hours on tournament day. Team parents make the best volunteers! They will be there anyway to watch their child’s performance and we guarantee they will not miss it. We have substitutes available so in the event of a scheduling conflict, the volunteer may leave his or her job to watch a team performance. The volunteer will simply inform the site judge, leave to enjoy the performance, and then return to finish the shift.
Here are some additional details:
- Our tournament COVID-19 safety procedures can be found here.
- Shifts start as early as 6:45 a.m. and last until about 6:30 p.m.
- Duties include coffee and lunch delivery, door monitoring, staffing information tables, handing out directions, selling merchandise, and other general tasks.
- No training is needed. All instructions are provided on tournament day.
- Volunteers receive an email in early March to enter an online system and select a job and shift (first come, first served).
- Often a parent can volunteer at the site where his or her child is performing or in the same building.
- In the event of any scheduling conflict, a volunteer can leave the position to watch his or her child and then return to complete the volunteer shift.
- Shifts are also available to work the Friday evening before tournament helping to set up the site, usually from 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Coaches often recruit teachers, grandparents, siblings, and co-workers as volunteers if parents are unavailable.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.
There is a lot of “waiting time” on tournament day. Parents do not attend the Spontaneous portion of competition and the award ceremony is late in the day, often around 4:30 p.m. There is plenty of opportunity to fit in a volunteer shift. Your coach and team need your help! Odyssey is 100% volunteer run and many hands make lighter work. Thank you!
Questions? Please contact Yolanda Preysner, Judge and Volunteer Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org